Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Using WCOOP to practice for live tourneys



I am mainly a live player, or a minimum of that is what I've become after having transitioned over the past few years into playing mostly live tournaments. I still play online within the year, however the only time I focus entirely on online poker tends to happen through the "COOPs" -- the inside track and WCOOP.

I really like those series a lot, not only because I AM GETTING to play a large number of tournaments in a brief period, but I also use the COOPs to enhance as a player. They're roughly learning tool for me, you could say, to practice new things and work on my game.

During WCOOP, for instance, I'll play so many hands during those three weeks, it becomes a superb opportunity to experiment so much. I LIKE testing new plays and thinking outside the box. Simply because individuals are playing in a definite way in certain spots, that does not mean there aren't different ways to approach those situations.

In order to develop an edge over all players -- not only the bad ones, however the good ones, too -- you should be trying new stuff you. can learn such a lot by seeing how other players react on your plays, and whilst you get to check out those plays many, repeatedly as is feasible in SCOOP and WCOOP, you'll be able to really get a way for the way well they work.

eugene k wcoop.jpg

In addition to attending to installed a large number of volume and thus get in numerous practice and testing out new ideas and moves, the net tournaments are inclined to feature lower buy-ins than the live events I typically play. With live tourneys, my buy-ins will usually range between $2,000-$10,000, but online (say in WCOOP), the variability might be more like $100-$1,000. The players are still very, superb in these events, so I'm attending to practice against solid opponents for a comparatively inexpensive price. I AM GETTING to look how top pros and regulars react to certain things I'm seeking to do, and will learn what works and what doesn't.

The 20- and 30-minute levels and deep stacks in WCOOP also make those tournaments great for this kind of practice. In most online tournaments the typical stacks may also be fairly shallow, say 20-30 big blinds more often than not. But within the WCOOP events there is a lot of play with much deeper stacks, which might be very similar to what you face in a large number of live tournaments and thus makes the practice that rather more valuable.

I mostly fascinated by hold'em in this year's WCOOP. I played one of the most mixed-game tournaments, but I mostly desired to use the 3 weeks to concentrate on hold'em. Believe it or not, I still feel like I'VE much more to be told in hold'em, and so relished the danger to shine my game and work on a couple of leaks.

I had a good choice of cashes and a number of other deep runs within the WCOOP. I made a couple of Day 2s and a last table within the $1K fixed-limit six-handed hold'em event. I'm pleased with where my game is now -- especially after having taken that point off this summer to be at the reality TV show -- and pleased both with my results and with the risk to get in a large number of good practice.

Time soon to return at the road and take what I've learned during WCOOP back to the live games!

Eugene Katchalov is a member of Team PokerStars Pro
TreasureIslandJackpots
Read More... [Source: PokerStarsBlog.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment